Saturday, February 7, 2009

update from Big ears

brief update from Knoxville's awesome Big Ears festival...the only show I've gone to was amazing: Philip Glass perform with Wendy Sutter this afternoon at the downtown Bijou Theater. The set consisted of the two alternating solo pieces (Glass on grand piano; Sutter on cello), and doing a series of duets as well. Glass opened with two pieces from Metamorphosis (4 and 2 I believe); played a series of Etudes; and ended (pre-encore) with one of the most beautiful songs I have heard, from Glassworks...unfortunately I don't have all the exact titles; I'll have to look into that.

The theater was small and I somehow managed to snag 6th row seats even though I got my tickets just 2 days in advance. Wendy is strikingly beautiful; Philip came was humble and softspoken in his introductions of each set.

The music was, as you can imagine, breathtaking; kind of felt like I was floating outside of my body at times. More about the experience and the festival later; off to check out the local noise/hardcore showcase at a bar downtown...

1 comment: