Friday, June 5, 2009

Stepping it up a notch - The Southgate House


Alright, so I've always really loved Newport, Ky's Southgate House, ever since my first experience there (New Year's Eve when I was 19 - a night that ended up being overall wildly bizarre in ways I still don't understand...but I digress~). I admit I'd been somewhat underwhelmed by their calendar over the past year or so, but OK, they have been booking some crazy-awesome experimental shows for the summer, a few of which have officially restored my faith.

While it hasn't yet been posted on Southgate's website, Rolling Stone reported earlier this week that Deerhunter, No Age and Dan Deacon will be making magic happen at the Newport venue on Tuesday, August 4, one of a small handful of dates announced so far for their aptly-named Super Awesome Mega Tour. Holy moly.

And then, behold, today I see that psychedelic drone lords Sunn 0)) will be playing the Southgate House on Sunday, July 12. Whoa. Sunn 0)) in Kentucky. If ya didn't know, Sunn 0)) are the founders of the epic Southern Lords Records (Earth, Boris), and one of the loudest and heaviest bands I like ~ check out their recently-released album, Monoliths and Dimensions, which I hear is pretty mind-blowing. I personally can't imagine a better way to celebrate that Sabbath.

Other great shows coming to the Southgate House this summer:
  • Bonnie Prince Billy - July 11 (tho I'd recommend checking him out at the Round Barn on the 13th)
  • NOMO - June 16
  • Black Moth Super Rainbow - June 21
  • Marah - July 7
  • Son Volt - Aug 7

No comments:

Post a Comment